Sunday, March 28, 2010

My Life as a Filmmaker, Now and in the Future

Man it's been a few weeks since I did a new post, and I'm not sure why. Twitter has become my forum for truly getting out what I'm thinking about through the day, so I suppose I save my blog posts for when I actually have a lot to say. Anywho,

So last friday I shot a new video with my Laugh Taxi group. As usual it was filled with ridiculous things that we allow ourselves to do on camera. Lots and lots of takes, and usually a lot of uncontrollable laughter for a few hours. I was a little nervous at first that we were trying to pull this together last minute, but it turned out really really well. I ended up screaming a lot, which for some reason I find myself doing often in our videos. I read a quote by Will Ferrell where he said "There's just something about yelling that I find funny," and that's really the truth.

We only had four guys there filming, and sometimes that is the best route to take. If by some chance I do make it in the movie business, I always want to make sure I find time to make short sketch comedy videos with just my friends. For some reason, there is just something liberating by working with people you know and making up shit on the fly and somehow piecing it all together. It's not conventional and sometimes it can really backfire, but on the most basic level, its satisfying.

In other news, this coming Tuesday I'm working on the most professional shoot I have ever been on and I'm extremely excited. Honestly, I'm not really nervous and I don't know why. I'm directing a script I wrote and I'm just excited for the opportunity. I get to have an entire crew, an assistant director, lighting, professional dollys, producers, real actors, monitors on set, the whole nine yards. Hopefully one of the producers will bring a camera and snap some photos and I might post them up on here. So yeah, we've been in preproduction for like 3 weeks now, and I really have come to appreciate the importance of preproduction. It's just so crucial, I can't imagine trying to be this professional without mapping out every detail beforehand. It really really benefits.

And finally, this weekend I had a weekend seminar with a professional agent from Hollywood who came and talked to us about his career, what he does on a daily basis, the process a project goes through in development, as well as interesting anecdotes he's encountered while working in the industry. It was pretty interesting, and while I don't see myself becoming an agent at all, I learned a lot about how much creativity can actually come from that job. We did a mock project development where we had writers, agents, producers, and studio heads, and we had to pitch ideas, and find out peoples interests, and eventually try to get a project sold to one of the studios. Really cool stuff, I found myself getting much more into it than I thought I would. Taking this class really got me motivated for when I move out to LA. I found out some great places online to learn about assistant jobs and learned about the routes than can be taken to help get to the place you want your career can be. My goal is to be out there in less than 2 years, but I hope it doesn't take quite that long. But the point is, im more excited than ever, and I'm just really happy that I have a lot of projects that I'm working on right now as well. That is all for now, have a great day everyone.

tk

No comments:

Post a Comment