Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Bee's, Scripts, and Netflix

Greetings one person who reads this from the privacy of their room. I'm no good at constantly writing, so my goal is to try and make a post once a week. Chances are that won't work but since my 2004 goal of getting into the Olympics, I am used to failing.

Anyways, interesting thing happened to me last week as I got off of work. I hopped into my car, started it and reached back for my seatbelt, when GASP what did I see on my window. A bee. I know, holy shit. It was stuck in that part where the window rolls down into the sleeve or whatever. I have never been stung before and chances are if I had seen the bee before I got in, I would have probably spent five minutes trying to knock it off with a water bottle. But it seemed stuck and I thought well hey I have a 15 minute freeway drive home, I'm sure the speed will make the bee fly off. 15 minutes of me constantly looking over at my window, however, would prove me wrong. This little fucker really was stuck. But luckily when I got home he seemed to have suffocated from the power of the wind and he was dead, yet still stuck. Oh well, I left him there and the next morning I finally knocked him off. What a way to die.

Scripts: Man have the creative juices been flowing with my new group and writing team with Shawn Orr. We, especially him, have been pounding out handfuls of scripts a week and its awesome. We probably have somewhere near 15 scripts that are in various stages of production, many of which we probably can't stand to look at anymore lol. But the point is this is good, because we are tapping into some creative energy that really keeps things fresh. I wish that we produced more though, but that isn't as easy as working at a script from home. I wrote this script for a mockumentary style movie with the main character as a delusional karaoke singer. It's great, I'm really proud of it, I can't wait to see where it ends up a few drafts down the line, and hopefully we can find time and dedication to organize this one because I have an exact tone I really want to get.

Writing to me is extremely fun, but at the same time I really hate it. Its definitely not my "forte", but I know I'm becoming increasingly better at being a storytelling, which in today's industry, you can't get anywhere without having that trait. Telling a story is so hard people don't realize it which is amazing. I rewatched a movie last week from my childhood days that I had watched a million times before. Maybe you've heard of it, its called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze. Okay stay with me here. Of course I really enjoyed watching and remembering all the favorite parts I had as a kid, but watching it, I couldn't help but notice how incredibly tight and on point the storytelling was. It was funny, suspensful, exciting, and sometimes sad. All these qualities is just a ninja turtle movie? Insane I know, but I have an appreciation for it because most people really don't realize everything that goes into making a movie and how much goes into to crafting a script. It is something that you can't be explained, but only taught through your own experiences. Anyways, the movie was awesome, I was so happy I found it on Netflix oh and speaking of Netflix....

Netflix: So i have my xbox connected to Netflix instant watching or whatever and it is seriously the coolest fucking thing ever. I can browse movies on my xbox menu, click watch now, and....I WATCH IT NOW! so awesome. Problem is the selection is diseased with so many movies ive never heard of or never watch. But everyday the library is getting larger and larger and hopefully down the line all the netflix movies that are available, will be available to watch instantly.

Over the last week I have discovered that I have a love for documentaries, and I always knew I enjoyed them, but now often I would rather watch a good doc instead of a good movie. Strange I know but one amazing documentary was this one called King of Kong. It's the story of a guy trying to beat the world record on Donkey Kong and all the drama and controversy that video game nerds thrive on surrounding this kind of stuff. It was just so damn entertaining and I definitely will be watching that one again in due time. Other docs I've watched recently are I.O.U.S.A. which was very good, and one today called The Union: The Business About Getting High. It was also good, but kind of seemed to get off topic at times and even my love for weed couldn't keep me from feeling slightly bored sometimes. Oh well, I still enjoyed it a whole bunch. This netflix thing is seriously going to take up so much of my time because there are a million things to watch.

I also watched The Big Lebowski which lived up to the hype everybody gave it. People have been telling me to watch it for years and honestly with a few more viewings it could easily become one of my top favorite movies. I'm in the middle of watching The Royal Tenenbaums which is hands down brilliant. Wes Anderson did such a good job on this movie, and even though I have some complaints about his filmmaking style, so far it has been superb. My netflix travels will continue and I hope to see a lot of movies I would otherwise had never watched before. Oh shit, I think I may be becoming a better filmmaker. Lol.

I'll catch everyone later.

tk

No comments:

Post a Comment